WordPress users logon seamlessly via jsConnect and SSO into your Vanilla Forums. Just install jsConnect and WP Vanilla Connect, copy links and codes from WP to Vanilla and your linked up. Takes about 5 minutes to download and install.
jsConnect Vanilla Addon is required
“An SSO plugin that uses json(p) to connect to vanilla, allowing for cross-domain sso.” For more details on the nuts and bolts of the code behind the plugin and to download jsConnect - http://vanillaforums.org/addon/jsconnect-plugin
- Authenticate WordPress Users in Vanilla forums in a similar way Facebook handles website logins.
- Seamless integration with WordPress login provided by a native WP plugins.
- Generate URL’s for jsConnect Vanilla’s recommended method in place of ProxyConnect.
- Send logged on users directly to Vanilla forums and they are automatically logged in.
- Assign Gravatar’s for users instead of the default image if their email address is registered on Gravatar.com. Has an option to serve over SSL and Non-SSL
- Uses cross-domain authentication so can be used on different servers allowing you to spread your eggs out, so to speak.
- Easy to install and setup, takes less than two minutes.
- Clean, does not rely on WordPress core updates.
What WP Vanilla Connect is Not:
Because WP Vanilla Connect just creates a json object on the WordPress side of things it cannot alter any parts of Vanilla without some sort of Vanilla add-on. So, with that in mind if your json object it being properly built and passed to jsConnect the plugin is doing its job, perfectly.
- Depends on jsConnect which has been written by a programmer with Vanilla it appears by the name of Todd. I do not provide support for his plugin, so you should get comfortable with Todd if you need some features to be present inside of Vanilla.
- You must theme Vanilla separately from WordPress.
- Unfortunately, at the time of writing this there seems to be no easy way of disabling user links in Vanilla aside from editing CSS.
- Users can only use the WordPress Signin link and cannot use the standard Vanilla login. No easy way to hide either.
Setup and Installation
Install the plugin and the add-on. Copy some URL’s from WP Vanilla Connect paste into the jsConnect settings page in Vanilla forums found under Dashboard -> Users. Once you update jsConnect with the proper settings you can run the test url from Vanilla to make sure it works. If you see a properly formed json response than you know your good.
- Download and install the jsConnect and WP Vanilla Connect.
- Generate client_id and secret in either jsConnect or WP Vanilla Connect just make sure they are set to match in both plugin and add-on.
- Paste the jsConnect URL and the Login Redirection URL into jsConnect. These are generated in my plugin WP Vanilla Connect.